Floyd and Jane Wray came to Florida in 1925 and were deeply intrigued with the horticultural possibilities of the subtropical locale. They purchased 320 acres of land on Long Key in the Everglades, and on January 2, 1927, Floyd L. Wray incorporated Flamingo Groves, beginning what was to become one of the first botanical gardens and tourist attractions in South Florida.
Flamingo Gardens is owned and operated by the Floyd L. Wray
Memorial Foundation, Inc. The Floyd L. Wray Memorial Foundation was established in 1969 by Mrs. Wray in honor of her late husband to preserve the core property for future generations and emphasize the history of the Florida Everglades. The name was changed to Flamingo Gardens, the botanical gardens was preserved and expanded, and the Everglades Wildlife Sanctuary was added in 1990.