Flamingo Gardens volunteers are an integral part of the garden’s history and contribute to every aspect of our operations. We depend on our dedicated volunteers to help us maintain the gardens and facilities. Like History? Become a Wray Home Museum tour guide and meet people from around the world. Like plants and gardening? Help us care for our collection of rare & native plants. Love animals? With devotion and the proper training you can become part of our dedicated animal care volunteers. Good with your hands? Help us out with carpentry, woodwork, and simple repairs.
Please call (954) 473-2955 x134 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Please review the detailed information below, then call 954-473-2955 x134 for an appointment to come in and register.
For more information email email@example.com
When you call, be sure to lets us know why you wish to volunteer and mention your areas of interest, talents and special skills.
Flamingo Gardens welcomes volunteers of all ages 12 and above:
- Adults 18+ wishing to contribute spare time to a worthy cause.
- High School Students 16-18 completing their community service hours (with consent form signed by a parent)
- Families wishing to be actively involved volunteering with their children ages 12-15. (Ages 12-15 may volunteer only when accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.)
- Sorry, children under 12 may not volunteer.
- Court ordered volunteers must call in advance to confirm eligibility. Parental Consent forms for court ordered volunteers under age 18 must be signed by a guardian in person at time of interview.
In most areas, volunteers must set a regular weekly schedule from:
am - 1 pm
- 9:30 am - 4:30 pm
- 1 pm - 4:30 pm
- Wildlife Care requires a
- Initial Interviews are held Wednesday through Saturday at 10:00am by appointment only.
- If you can’t come every week, consider volunteering for Special
Events, which are held on weekends and on holidays throughout the year.
- History Become a Wray Home Tour Guide or help with historic research, archive photos and documents, and inventory the collection.
- Hospitality and Information Become an ambassador of the Gardens. Staff the membership and information table at events. Visit Volunteer Fairs, Earth Day celebrations and other outside events to give information and to distribute flyers to local businesses.
- Horticulture is a wonderful opportunity to learn more about gardening in the tropics. Specialty Gardening, on weekdays only, is a good way to get your hands dirty whether you love crotons, roses, butterfly or hummingbird gardening, amaryllis, iris, heliconia, the Fragrance Garden or the Tropical Plant House.
- Maintenance & Woodworking Do you enjoy working with your hands? Volunteers help build, refinish, paint and repair. Use your skills in carpentry, painting, plumbing, or electrical work to keep the Gardens in shape.
- Office & Computers Help with filing, phones, faxes, mailings and data entry. Contribute your expertise in graphics or web site maintenance.
- Retail Gift Shop sales, merchandising, dusting, straightening and re-folding T-shirts. The book collection and inventory are ever popular with volunteers.
- Wildlife Care Tending to our permanently injured birds and animals requires devotion, dependability, and extensive training. An ongoing commitment of at least 150 hours is required. Volunteers must be at least 21 years of age. Prior experience is helpful. Cleaning cages starts at 7 am, rain or shine, then diets are prepared which involves handling frozen rats, chicks and fish.
- Special Events Held on weekends and holidays throughout the year with varying hours, may be for you. There's a lot to do to set-up in the weeks before -- planning, marketing, mailing and scheduling. On event days, help with vendor check-in and set-up, traffic control, security, membership tables and other positions to staff, as well as breakdown and cleanup.
- Special Projects You can also share your talents on an as needed basis. Art, photography, you name it. Let us know of your special skills and interests. We'll match them to a volunteer opportunity.
VOLUNTEER OF THE MONTH: Carolyn Thomson
Carolyn Thomson has volunteered for over 150 hours in the Wray Home Museum since January 2014. Carolyn volunteers at Flamingo Gardens because she loves gardens and the outdoors, and she has wonderful memories of coming here with her Mother when she was a child. She enjoys conducting the tours and talking to people from all over the United States and the world. Carolyn says "the other volunteers are so nice." She also helps with Special Events. Thank you Carolyn for all your help and especially for coming in when someone else can't be here.